· Telehealth consultations become the norm. HCPs are allowed to actively promote their telehealth services to patients on e.g. their websites. Pricing for telehealth services is still negotiated but is supposed to be solved soon.
· Improved access to patient data for research. German public health insurances are forced to send anonymized member demographics and health data to a central database managed by the German government. Research organizations and universities can request access to data for research purposes.
· Every insured member will have access to an electronic health record. By January 2021 every member of a public health insurance (72 Mio) must have access to an electronic patient record.
· HCP patient communication and prescriptions is moved to electronic channels. Electronic prescriptions for medication, remedies and aids, doctor letters and certificates of disability for employers will now be allowed. Traditional fax communication is made less attractive.
· Pharmacies, HCPs and hospitals are forced to connect to secure communication networks. Every pharmacy (Sep 20) and hospital/HCP (Jan 21) must connect to the German secure health data network provided by the Gematik. In case of non-compliance, there will be financial penalties.
· Health insurers will offer online member sign ups
· Health innovation will be financially supported. German government prolonged EUR 200 Million yearly funding for 4 years to support innovation projects in healthcare.